Fill handle and dates

The data is in a date formatted month day, year. When using the fill handle it completes the cells below in the same format changing the day. So the first cell might be December 1, 2024 and then the cell below would be December 2, 2024. Is there a way to change the action so that the first cell would be December 1, 2024 and then the cell below January 1, 2025 - etc…? So instead of the day incrementing by one, the month increments by one but the day stays the same.

I figured it out. I put the data in the first cell and then the data I want in the second cell. Then I highlight both cells and grab the fill handle and drag it down. So I put January 1, 2024 in the first cell then put February 1, 2024 in the second cell. Then I highlight both cells and drag the fill handle down.

See also:
grafik
Just tested: This kind of >Fill>Series... is an old feature of all the versions of StarOffice, OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice and ApacheOpenOffice I ever used. My test reached back to StarOffice 5.0 of 2000.
Funny: I never knew of it (25 years) till this question caused me to look for the feature.
(Also common to all the mentioned versions: Year, Month, and Day are wrongly listed as “Time Units” instead of date levels (or similar). Also in 2000 a february had mostly 3 days less than a july, and years differed by one day in duration.)

1 Like

And one more way.

1. Enter the date in A1
  2. To select cells, enter A1:A500 (for example) in the Name box and press Enter
  3. Ctrl+D

?
It fills a selected range of at least two rows with the contents of the top cell of the range.

1 Like

@cwolan, thanks, I answered another question. :slight_smile: