Find previous version of LO Writer Document (none are displayed)

Somehow I didn’t notice that a massive chunk of text got pasted over in my document,I hit save & now 90% of my document (which I forgot to make a 2nd copy of ) is gone.The help section was outdated & solution didn’t work because I have a newer version of LO. Please help me get my previous version of the document back,I really really need it!
Thanks|!

(File>versions shows nothing!)

Edit: I am using Kubuntu,it seems like the scavenging option is my last hope as the document was saved (before I noticed the error after re-opening the document) Wish LO would automatically save a copy after installation (by default)…! Always create back up copy box was not selected
Do you know any good reliable scavenger programs for Kubuntu? Thanks!

Hello

if you didn’t take actions to assure that there a several versions, then you don’t have any old version of your document. Version won’t be created automatically. So it is up to you to implement on or more of the following procedures

• Set option Tools -> Options -> Load/save -> Cat: Save - Option: Always create backup copy. To set this options is a minimum must to assure that at least the latest version of a document is save to backup directory (see in Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice -> Paths -> Type: Backup where these backups will be stored.
  • Versions: To have versions, you must activate that in File → Version and at least set option Always save a new version on closing
  • For important documents change your habits: Make it a standard procedure to use File -> Save a Copy after every important changes to your document.
  • Consider to make use of a special naming convention: For example, I prefer for my important document to create file namings like <name>-YYYY-MM-DD-v.x.<extension> (e.g. MyImportantDoc-2019-09-10-v.01.odt)
  • Finally assure to copy your important docs to some external storage

File>Versions will show the list of versions you intentionally saved as such. The command is a management feature under your full control. LO Writer will never create any version on its own initiative.

Thus, if you didn’t save a version yourself, don’t expect to retrieve one.

The only automatic action is periodic backup of document (if not disabled) in a dedicated directory. This auto backup is there in case of system crash and is erased after a manual save and successful application exit. Anyway, the backup will reflect the latest state of the document, not the initial one.

If you did File>Save as or File>Save a Copy during your session, try the original file or saved copy.

Failing that, you have no hope but trying to use scavenging utilities (OS depending) which explore the disk to retrieved deleted files though without guarantee of success.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

Sorry - “cross-posting”

@anon73440385: you’re welcome

thanks! using Kubuntu,can you recommend the most advanced scavenging utilities? Its worth a try!

Try photorec to recover deleted files; you may get a temporary file created by LO

I’d suggest you download Fedora Security Lab and you burn a CD/DVD or put it on a bootable USB stick. There are many others, but that’s the one I use. Beware, you can cause much more harm if you misuse such tools. If you’re a newbie, keep away!

Helllo,

unfortunately you did not mention the Operating System. Supposed it could be Windows, you could be lucky enough to have Volume Shadow Copy Service activated (and that you have stored the file once before). If so, you could look for Previous Versions of your file in the filemanager. If not something like this (as ajlittoz also suggested) you’re lost.