Find "*" using regular expression

I want to find * character using regular expression because I have to replace it with \n*. Basically I want to add a line before all the * written in the document.

However when I tried to find it with Regular expression checked, it showed no result, after turning off regular expression it can find the character but I can’t add a manual line before every * in one go. And the document is like 2K pages long so doing it again and again one by one is not really an option for me. So how do I go about it ?

You have to “escape” characters that have a special function in a regular expression, like this one. Type \* instead of just * and LO will know that you want the literal.

Read the whole list of regular expressions carefully, they’re very powerful, but you need to know the basics to use them.

If this answer helped you, please accept it with :heavy_check_mark: (here on the left). That will help other people with the same question.

Type what instead of * ?
I know that they are very powerful, and I use them regularly but I am no expert in that area. :frowning:

Added a backslash to show what you have to enter.

Thanks that helped.

Can you please tell me how do I remove a paragraph break. You see After every “:” there is paragraph break. When I search using :blush: it searches for it, but no matter with what I replace, the para break will not go.

Or should I create a new question for this ?
I am still learning this regular expression thing, and with new document to make into epub, I get into more trouble and learn something new.

That’s another question, one that has been asked over and over, btw. Hint: Make sure that regular expressions is ticked. Another hint: Download the Altsearch extension, it’s a great tool to find and replace across paragraph breaks.

Already have that extension. Can you give link to one such question ?

See this one. In Altsearch you have to enter \p instead of $.