Footer content goes on top of margin

From MS word I am used to that the footer content went within the margin. I started using libreoffice writer yesterday and now I see that when I added page numbers to the footer for instance, they go on top of the margin so now I have more white space at the bottom which I didn’t want. How can I make the footer content go into the margin? Or this is not possible and I must decrease the margin amount? By how much? I cannot see the height of page number placed on footer. Or should I measure with ruler and subtract that number from bottom margin? Or what do you suggest?

FAQ

This is one of the main differences between Word and Writer.

In Writer, margins are no-print area, akin to the mechanical margins in printer used by the device to drive the paper.

Area defined by the margins is shared between main text area, header and footer (plus empty space separating them).

By default, header and footer are auto-sized, i.e. they adapt to contents by borrowing space to the main area. You can set header and footer to fixed size if needed (with the risk of clipping header/footer if you mis-evaluated needed height).

Change the parameters in the page style(s). Look at Page, Header and Footer tabs.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

By saying change the parameters , for what? To solve my problem? Or my problem cannot be solved and I must adjust the margin? All I want is that I have the same distance at the bottom of the page, which was 0.79 inches before I inserted page number. I want again 0.79 inches after inserting page number.

Or my problem cannot be solved and I must adjust the margin

Yes - you need to adjust margins, since they define the absolute no-print area in LibreOffice’s notion of a page (which is already part of the answer and absolute no-print area means: No content goes there). See the FAQ provided by @mikekaganski’s comment above.