Footer keeps repeating on alternating pages

My Libreoffice Writer application is repeating footers even when I don’t want them to. I’ve disabled repeating headers on both the first page style and the default page style, but I cannot create a third footer without it repeating on alternating pages. What can I do to insert content at the footers and not have it repeat? Are there any alternatives that I can use to footers to insert writings in the same place on a page as the footer?

It is rather the point of footers to appear on every page of the same page style with the same fields and/or text. What do you want to put in the same place as the footer contents?

1 Like

I am writing a fantasy story with some terms I made up. I want to have footnote explanations to those terms on the same page that they initially occur. Is there another medium or format which I should utilize for my goal?

As a work-around you could use frames (or text boxes from the draw tools) which are anchored to paragraph or page within the text area and placed into the area of a footer.
Otherwise create some single page styles and insert your text there. IMHO for your purposes the worse option…

1 Like

Thank you.

Doesn’t Insert > Footnote and Endnote > Footnote work for you?

2 Likes

Be aware that the frame anchored to paragraph in text area is hard to select (use: F5, Navigator) and its position is not to set to any place of the entire footer. If you add some text and the anchor runs into the following page the frame will move but not into the footer of the following page.
The frame anchored to page is better to handle with but does not move to the following page if you add some text. So you had to move this frame manually.
As written: It is a work-around!

Probably the better choice!?

2 Likes

@Questionasker your request looks like the description of footnote feature. Try this first as it is the easiest and it is nicely integrated with writing workflow.
If you are not familiar with advanced concepts in Writer, don’t use frames. Their properties are not obvious and the names used for them are rather counter-intuitive. They frequently cause confusion between anchoring and positioning (e.g. To page relates to anchor, not to position).
In addition, since you didn’t provide the minimal expected details (OS name, LO version and save format), I warn you the frame concept has a specific definition In Writer which doesn’t translate faithfully in doc(x). So if you don’t save native (odt), avoid frames.

2 Likes