Formatting Loss Pasting from Spreadsheet to Text Doc

Dear All.

I’m currently undergoing the transition from OpenOffice to LibreOffice. So far so good (I think). But when I paste Spreadsheets/Calcs into the Text Doc, they seem to lose their formatting. E.g., fonts aren’t retained, etc. Am I doing something silly?

James.

May be tdf#156375.
I haven’t any Excel to my disposition, but concerning Calc I can confirm the issue with pasting into a Writer document for V 7.3.2 and with V 7.6.0.0.beta1.

In addition it occurs (even worse) between two Calc documents opened in tow different instances of LibreOffice.

2 Likes

To keep exact formatting click Edit > Paste special > Paste special > LibreOffice 7.x Spreadsheet.

Another advantage is that you embed the spreadsheet into the document meaning that you can double-click the cells to edit the spreadsheet if you need to make a change.

In attached document the first table is Paste, the second is Paste Special
PasteSpecialSpreadsheet.odt (21.4 KB)

[Edit]
Or also Edit > Paste special > Paste special > HyperText Markup Language (HTML) for a Writer table

1 Like

Thanks—P.S. Probably wasn’t clear; I didn’t mean Excel but LibreOffice Calc. (Never know what to call it.)

The relevant question in return:
Did you ever know any version of LibO, OO.o (StarOffice, AOO) pasting into a Writer document (the way you now seem to expect) the formatted textual contents copied from a SheetCellRange in Calc?
I always get either and embedded object showing a range of a spreadsheet (retaining the formats) or unformatted text.
The only exception I know is in the case that I copied a single cell, but this works including the formats also in my current V 7.5.3.2. and also in V 7.6.0.0.beta1.

Yes, the most recent OO release does it.

Thanks—that’s much better!
(Answering to @EarnestAl, edit by LeroyG)

Are you talking of AOO V 4.1.14?
Versions are identified by the branch and 3 numbers separated by dots. What’s “most recent” may frequently change or depend on a distribution / repository.

What’s much better?