Formula's not working in Calc version 7.1.3.2

Hi,

I can’t get formula’s to work it just show the actual formula.

Even a simple =A1 just shows the text “=A1” rather than the contents of cell A1.

It’s some setting on a particular spread sheet because it works fine if I create a new sheet! If I copy the contents of my sheet to a new sheet the formula’s still don’t work.

Any help would be great. I have tried a few of the answers which appear online but none has worked for me.

Regards,
Jim.

Hi,

I’ve got the formula’s working but I can’t say for sure what the issue was! It seems to me that if the cell that the formula’s being entered into is set as text then it does not work but if it’s set as a number it does. However even after changing the cell to a number, if the cell has already got a formula in it, it does not calculate.

Using fill down from a cell that’s working will always work even if the cells being filled are text. Perhaps because the fill changes them to number format.

The formula I was trying to create was to convert dates from UK to US format.

Quite odd behaviour and has cost me a bit of time, and I’ll forget and have to go through it again probably.

Regards,
Jim.

Hello,

there are mainly two reasons, why you may see a formula instead of the result of an evaluation of the formula.

Reason 1 - Setting

Option View -> [x] Show Formula is set.

Reason 2 - Formatting

If you format a cell as text (Format Code @) before you enter a formula, you

• in fact disable formula recognition triggered by =
  • get your input interpreted as “Text” (as per your format - this is one of the few cases where formatting a cell in advance determines input interpretation)

If you want to determine whether this is the case, set option View -> [x] Value Highlighting. If the “Formula” stays black-colored, it is text. If it turns green-colored, it is a real formula and most like Reason 1 is the cause.

Hope that helps.