Formulas not working in Calc

Formula only works if type in with = sign first. Entering formula first or copy/paste without = sign and adding later does not work.

Formulas MUST begin with “=”, all other cell contents are STRINGS or constant NUMERIC VALUES only.

I can’t repro. I tried this: entered 1+2 into a cell, and pressed Enter to end editing mode. This was “entering formula first”. Then I clicked that cell again, and prepended the = to the already existing text in the cell, and pressed Enter. This was “adding later”. The result was 3 in the cell, formula entered this was worked.

Version: 24.8.0.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 6fd6cae02baed1e82d14ed2da1f2458092354dab
CPU threads: 24; OS: Windows 11 X86_64 (10.0 build 22631); UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

Quoting from Chapter 7 Using Formulas and Functions

You can enter formulas in two ways. One method is to use the Function Wizard or the equivalent facilities in the Functions deck of the Sidebar. The second method is to type directly into the cell or into the Input line. A formula must begin with an = symbol. When typing directly, you normally need to start a formula with =. However, if your formula begins with a + or – (for example -2*A1), then Calc automatically adds the = symbol. An = is not added if you simply enter a positive or negative number (such as -2 or +3). Starting with anything else causes your intended formula to be treated as if it were text.

1 Like