Foxit Printing Setup is not Fully Remembered

I see a bug in the printing with Foxit, which may be a Foxit bug, I can’t tell. When I print the document, by default it always prints at scaling of less than 100%, around 80% I think. If I go into the settings for the Foxit printer, I don’t even have to change anything (since it normally shows the scaling as 100%), it then prints at the correct scaling factor. This is true in both Writer and Calc

I select File - Printer Settings… When the dialog comes up I select Foxit and click Properties. As I said, the scaling shows as 100%, so I don’t change anything, just exit both dialog boxes and then print and the scaling is good. Actually, I don’t even have to use the Layout tab to see the scaling. Just opening and exiting the Printer Settings dialog is enough to fix the scaling.

How might this be debugged to see if the problem is in LibreOffice or Foxit?

The Foxit Reader PDF Printer version is 9.7.2.2231. Last copyright is 2020 so it’s a good chance it’s not up to date, but I seem to recall there’s something about Foxit that makes me not want to update. Probably something about the licensing. I use Foxit because it lets me annotate PDF files, even if it’s a bit crude. I just found that a PDF can be opened in Draw to allow addition of text and shapes, etc. Maybe I can ditch Foxit?

FTR: I can’t repro the mentioned problem using Foxit PDF Editor Printer Version 11.2.1.4537 (installed yesterday).

Specifically, I did this:

1. Created a new Writer document using LibreOffice 7.3.1.3 with a clean user profile.
  2. Set the page background to red (it filled the whole page area).
  3. Printed to Foxit PDF printer, without opening its properties.

The end result was A4 page (having correct 210x297 mm dimensions, just as in the original), having whole page filled red.

Version: 7.3.1.3 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: a69ca51ded25f3eefd52d7bf9a5fad8c90b87951
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

I am not a Foxit user, and I might misunderstand something when trying to download and install their print-to-PDF solution yesterday, but it seems to me that their current version of free PDF reader does not provide a PDF printer; so I ended up installing a trial version of the Editor to be able to test things.

This could be the reason that you are talking about.

It’s probably something like the text not being selectable problem. You should be able to see it with that same file. Or maybe not. It may be some corruption with the Foxit PDF printer.

Likely not (at least using the abovementioned Foxit version):

This is the DOC and the PDF (with raster) that iverimposed with a slight shift, to show the relative sizes of elements.

I guess this is a bug that will never be tracked down.