Getting pre-existing embedded HSQLDB files working with LibreOffice 7.3 Base

In LibreOffice 7.3, Base seems to be able to create HSQLDB files and then open them, but for some reason can not seem to open already-existing HSQLDB files. I have several existing HSQLDB files that I would very much like to be able to access. Is there a way to do this? (Converting to Firebird breaks these databases, unfortunately.)

This is on Windows 10, 64-bit. FWIW, we are using HSQLDB 2.5 externally to run our main database. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it, potentially.

I remember problems some time ago but
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=103912&p=503886&hilit=Split+database+hsql#p503886
seems to be fixed and only affecting linux.

Your previous Version was 7.2.x ?

I am not sure which version of LibreOffice it stopped working in. I know it was not working in 7.x at all, but I think it worked in the 6.x versions.

I did see the EmbeddedOOo extension, but I can’t seem to get it to work, either. It still wants to convert it to Firebird.

FWIW, here’s what I am trying to do: I have a “served” (I guess “split” is the word?) office management database running HypserSQL 2.5.0. I want to create an embedded copy of it that a new employee can use to practice entering data without screwing up the existing (mission-critical) data on the live database. This worked fine until this last summer, when it suddenly stopped working. I think it is due to updating the version of HyperSQL from 1.8 to 2.5.0, because it doesn’t even work in OpenOffice.org anymore.

I don’t use a hsql-split-db, so I’m no expert on this topic. What i remember is:

• You need to have fitting .jar files to access the database and if you need to use more than one release, this config needs to be changed, when the database is called (? by macro ?)
  • There was a last version wich can read embedded hsql 1.8 and splitdb 2.x

Two ideas: If you have at some time in the past converted from embedded to split-db, an older backup of this embedded database may work, perhaps on a separate computer without the split-db.
And you may just create a second firebird-database as a copy of the first and connect to this copy for Training…

I recommend reading the 2 articles by DACM at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=83

Would be nice to know what version of LO you were using when it stopped working. Not understanding construct of live database. Updating HSQLDB version should not be the cause. Can always go back to a different version. It is just swapping out the .jar file.
There is no mention of any specific errors - just stopped working.
Perhaps see these posts:
Old split hsqldb won’t connect in new Linux Mint 20.2 and LO 6.4.7.2
https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/base-v7-2-split-database-problems-javadriverclasspath-not-working-as-expected/69434
BTW, you get convert to Firebird because Experimental options is turned on. You can answer NO.
Edit
There was also a form issue a bit back - tdf#138209

It was actually pretty much as simple as “turn off experimental features”. LOL!

What it was doing–and yes, the description was lacking in that regard (my apologies)–was unzipping the file, then trying to convert it to Firebird and then refusing to use the tables if I said I wanted to convert later.