Google Sheets To Calc All Messed Up

I have little sheets/excel/calc experience, so it could be something simple I am missing.
However, I have recently downloaded a template for a business expense I got from here: Opt-in - Simple Startup Bookkeeping Spreadsheet — Gillian Perkins
Copy of Simple Startup Bookkeeping.xlsx (202.3 KB)

It is in Google Sheets, so I opened it in Google Sheets. Everything looks good.
Then when I click Download > .ods (I also tried downloading in .xlsx and no difference)

And then import it into Calc, it becomes all messed up.

There are 3 tabs.
The first one the image and font are small and all messed up. Body of text is missing, etc.
The 2nd is completely yellow, there are no category dropdowns, or grid, etc.
The 3rd is seems fine.

Welcome @gravity1!
The file opens fine for me, under Windows 11. However, the document uses special fonts which may be the cause of your problem. Please copy the info from Calc menu Help > Info.

Hm weird.

Version: 7.6.4.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: e19e193f88cd6c0525a17fb7a176ed8e6a3e2aa1
CPU threads: 16; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

You can add the font Avenir to the replacement table. Go to Tools > Options, then open the tab Fonts. Click the checkbox Apply replacement table, type Avenir in the first box and select Arial in the second, then click the green mark.

Finally, Apply and OK.
Here is a version of the file in Calc format:
Copy of Simple Startup Bookkeeping.ods (104.2 KB)

Yes as I originally said I tried in .ods format and .xlsx, I notice no difference

As far as the Avenir font, why am I doing this? I’m confused.
But I just did it and notice no difference, it changed the font, but didn’t really fix any of my issues from what I’m seeing.
Also the transactions tab is still completely yellow.

Also why do I have to manually expand the cells to see the full text?
For example on the first tab, cell B needed to be expanded to see the ends of the text under IRS Categories. Whereas right on Sheets everything was perfectly readable already

Column D is where you will find the Category dropdowns; they don’t work correctly in Calc and not at all in Excel 2010. Google export is not very accurate.
The sheet looks a bit simplistic, the Validity should point to the cell range on the Income Statement tab or the list of expenses at the front; data should not be duplicated, it leads to errors. Although the fact that there are fewer Expenses listed in the Income Statement tab than in the Data Validity list implies a fault in the actual spreadsheet. I am also concerned that it adds expenses to income instead of subtracting unless you precede every expense with a minus; easy to forget in a hurry when you define it as an expense anyway. The transactions run out at 100 rows too

Maybe better to look at extensions for LibreOffice searching on “Account”, Extensions » Extensions

Also consider the venerable gnucash, it is fairly comprehensive for accounts but might be overwhelming.

If you want to persevere with the spreadsheet, I have made some modifications and added a little sample data.

• date format so it should display USA dates in USA but NZ Dates in NZ, ISO would be better though
  • Data Validity looks at list derived from original IRS Categories on Welcome sheet
  • Titles of Income Statement derive from list on Welcome sheet
  • Expenses can be entered without adding a minus sign
  • Alternating row colours
  • Extended Transactions to 1000 rows to match the SUMIF in Income Statement

Copy of Simple Startup BookkeepingEA.ods (80.0 KB)

Thank you so much.
Apologies for my misunderstandings, as I said I have very minimal experience with sheets or excel to begin with.
I also have never done bookkeeping, so I am learning two skills at once here.
A good handful of what you said did go over my head.
I also do agree with how it adds expenses to income unless you precede with a minus. That is a terrible design choice.

What exactly is the cause for these import issues?
Is it Google Sheets not exporting it properly, or is it Libreoffice not importing it correctly?
Also is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again in the future? Or any repository of templates people post that do work great with Libreoffice?

Also thank you so much for your sample. It looks great!!
Not sure if I am sticking with this template, but will definitely play around with it to learn. I am open to other suggestions. I am not a big business, and really don’t need anything crazy. I just need to track expenses for my CPA for tax season write offs, as well as my income which is commission based. I would like to add notes and stuff to transactions.
Figured this template is a good base point though.

And as far as Gnucash goes, I have looked at it briefly in the past, but never used. My CPA suggested I use Excel for now, which I would prefer to do because it is also teaching me Excel skills.
I obviously am preferring to use Libreoffice over Excel that is why I am here.

I do have one more big question though, if I export this document in .ods will it export into Excel and Google Sheets perfectly? Or any document for that matter?

On a side note, also curious if you have any suggestions or video series for learning Libreoffice Calc?
Besides reading the manual lmao

There is definitely a disconnect seeing most tutorials are people using Excel, so buttons are called different things and look different and some stuff seems to function differently.

Yes. It doesn’t work in LibreOffice nor Excel.

I linked to extensions in my earlier comment

Excel 2021 and Excel 365 claim to be able to open Open Document Format 1.3, see OpenDocument - Wikipedia . There are differences in file formats but for a simple spreadsheet like this there shouldn’t be any problems.

I don’t get on with video tutorials so I haven’t looked at these. You might like to look at this post Video tutorials for LibreOffice Writer, Calc and Impress - The Document Foundation Blog

Note that most of the basic functions have the same name in Calc and Excel, those with different names often have very similar names.

Okay, thank you so much!

Google Sheets can only export (via the Download as submenu) to Calc a minimum subset of the total features that it provides for its native sheet format. You can blame Google for not providing an adequate export tool.