Header issues for APA style paper

I am trying to add a header for a review paper using the American Psychological Association style which uses the format “Running head:Insert title” for the title page on the top left and the page number on the top right. The rest of the pages use “Insert title” on the top left and the continuing page number on the top right. The title page should be 1 and the rest should count down 2-X after that. My document keeps adding multiple different header types even though I did not alter them to be different styles. After I go back and change the numbers, I scroll up to find they have all been adjusted incorrectly again. The headers remain the same correct values for the top left (page one is slightly different as intended and the rest are all the same), however the numbers keep changing. I would greatly appreciate help with this issue.

Do you have got a document template, e.g. in .docx format, or have link for download? Or a link to the description of this style requirements? Can you please provide a document with your tries? LibreOffice can surely do what you need, but I need a little bit more information to help you.

There is an old LO template here: APA Paper
Info about the APA style is here: APA Style Central
Header instructions for Word: How do I format my paper so that the phrase Running head appears on only the first page?
Looks like that is different than what is in the LO template above in that “Running head” only appears on the first page.

… so the First Page page style will need to be different from the Default Style page style.

The template mentioned be @LibreTraining is not good. Because not using the appropriate LibreOffice paragraph styles, it looses the tool Navigator.

For an older version of LibreOffice you need way 1, in newer versions you can use way 2.

(1) Use the page style “First Page” for your first page. That will automatically generate “Default Style” as following page style. Enable the header in the tab “Header” in the page style properties.

(2) Use the page style “Default Style” for the entire paper. In this case go to the tab “Header” in the page properties and uncheck the item “Same content on first page”.

In both cases you have to adapt the page top margin, so that page top margin, header height and spacing to text will give together the desired 1 inch.

The paper uses title, section title, heading level 1 to 5. Use for each of them an own paragraph style. Assign them to the outline levels in Tools > Chapter Numbering (older LibreOffice Outline numbering) in this order. Then the parts will show up in the Navigator. And in addition, in case a final typesetting is planned and not only this APA-style for drafts, then using different paragraph styles for the different roles will make it easier.

For how to use page styles and paragraph styles and how to change the appearance of the styles, you can read in our “Getting Started” and in the “Writer” guides.