Help with Bibliography

LO 7.5.1.2
Win7-64

I’m trying put a bibliography into my LO document and to create references to entries in the bibliography. Something like:

text
o o o
text[n]

o o o

Bibliography
o o o
[n]  entry

Hopefully with the ability to click on [n] and got to the entry, or to click on [n] and show a pop-up with the entry.

I’ve tried to output a complete bibliography using Tools->Bibliography but there doesn’t seem any insert option.

I’ve tried to create and output a bibliography using Insert->Table of Contents and Index->Bibliography Entry and can’t seem to do it either.

Do I have to insert a list for my entries and create a reference, [n], for each entry, or is there another way?

thanks

Tools>Bibliography Database manages your bibliography records. They are independent and not related at all to any specific document. Consider it is your library. Books are stored in a library and you have not necessarily read them all. Same for the bibliography records in the database. They are available on demand in documents.

You insert a bibliography record in a document with Insert>TOC & Index>Bibliography Entry. Inserting a record makes it “active” for the current document.

When you Insert>TOC & Index>TOC, Index or Bibliography, choosing the adequate table, you create the list of all active bibliography entries of the document. This is usually what authors want: entries are the sources of the citations in the text.

If your goal is to list/print your full collection of entries, i.e. the contents of the database, you’ll have to use the report generator in Base (the database frontend of the LO suite) to extract the records from the database and generate a Writer document (or PDF, or other possible output).