Help with Weird Spacing Equation Editor

I recently bought a new laptop running windows 11. My previous laptop was running windows 10. I put all my files on a flash drive. I’m mostly using .odt documents, but they’re for my math classes so they have a lot of equations inserted.

Now when I edit most equations, it puts huge spaces/gaps between symbols. For old files, they look fine as long as I don’t click to edit them, but as soon as I do the gaps appear and even ctrl-Z doesn’t fix them.

For example I have: nroot{3}{216{y^30}}

The root and the 216y are at the left side of the page and the top of the root extends to about the middle of the page where the exponent of 30 finally appears. I’ve tried adding more/less brackets but nothing seems to help. I’ve also tried inserting a new equation and retyping it, but I get the same gaps.

Any ideas for how to get the exponent to stay with the base?

Here’s the LibreOffice info:
Version: 24.8.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0bdf1299c94fe897b119f97f3c613e9dca6be583
CPU threads: 16; OS: Windows 11 X86_64 (10.0 build 22631); UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

Cross posted at Reddit

If you cross post, as a courtesy please let us know that you have done so, otherwise it leads to several discussions and a waste of time because several identical answers may be posted by different users.

On Windows 11, the formula nroot{3}{216{y^30}} appears normal with 24.2.6.2.
It looks weird with 24.8.0.3 and 24.8.1.2.

NrootISS

This might be a dumb question, but how do I get 24.2.6.2 to make them look normal again?

That makes sense, but I’ve never gotten a response to a Reddit post that went 24 hours with no replies. I was just hoping someone who isn’t on Reddit would see this here since no one seemed to know the answer over there. If it happens again, I’ll make sure to point out that I made a Reddit post in case someone wants to check out the lack of replies first.

On the download-page of LibreOffice.org scroll down and realize there is a link on the words “in the archive”, wich leads to all older versions.
Index of /libreoffice/old

Changing settings for variables via FormatFontsModify : "Variables"
seems to make a difference (the default is “Liberation Serif, Italic”).

Version: 24.8.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0bdf1299c94fe897b119f97f3c613e9dca6be583
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 11 X86_64 (10.0 build 22631); UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (pl_PL); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Thanks so much! I appreciate all the help! (And so do my students, I needed to make a smaller font size to photocopy for them so they don’t have to copy all the problems from the board.)