Highlighting and "quoting" text sometimes presents as a solution rather than a comment

I’ve noticed the site sometimes quotes text into a solution instead of a comment; and that sometimes results in people posting solutions instead of comments as there is no option to change or indication of what you’re posting in the post box.

Is there any way around this, or to have the comment box display a check box for comment or solution? It seems the only indication is whether you clicked the comment or solution buttons in the first place.

When you select anything in the question itself, the “quote” option indeed creates a solution. “comment” button would also grab the selection as a quote, but would create a comment; “suggest a solution” button would grab the selection as a quote into a solution/answer - so the separate “quote” function is redundant, and yes, confusing.

In answers and comments, the “quote” option creates comments.

No idea if it’s possible to drop the “quote” option altogether - but that would be nice.

2 Likes

Did not realise this was an option as the interface doesn’t suggest it; at least I can change how I interact with the site now but it really isn’t intuitive for others. Who here would know whether this was changable locally or whether I need to submit a feature change to Discourse main?