How can I align images in frames?

Hi everyone
I’d appreciate some help with this before I scrap the whole thing and start using something else even more difficult.

I’m preparing a brochure for a local music venue, and I’m using LibreOffice Writer to lay out the text and images. I want to be able to set up two (or three) columns of images, each with a caption beneath. I’ve been playing with Frames for the first time, and it all seems unnecessarily complicated.
I’ve introduced a frame with two columns, and imported the photos. So far, so …
Hang on. I’ve got the first photo to sit flush with the left border of the frame, but I simply can’t get the second one to align with the right border. If I select the image and choose Align right from the dropdown, it goes back to the left-hand side. If I push it slightly too far to the right, it flies down to the next level. (I’m using a trackpad on a Dell laptop, and I don’t have a mouse for fine working.)

Second: I don’t want to use the inbuilt ‘caption’ tool, because that seems better suited to a textbook. (Illustration 1 and so forth.) I figure that by introducing a new frame underneath, again arranged into columns, and then type the captions straight into that, they should align with the photos. But the frame keeps wanting to become a header on the first page. Every time I try resizing it to align with the frame immediately above it, it shoots off to the very start of the document.

Before I default to Plan B (‘F— this!’) and try to teach myself Scribus instead, can anyone please suggest an easy workaround? By which I mean one that doesn’t entail a load of geekspeak about OLE, OOBE, macros, and things i have neither the time nor the inclination to explore. I’ve downloaded the official manual for Writer, and I haven’t (yet) found any useful tips in its 453 pages.

I’m using Version: 6.0.3.2
Build ID: 1:6.0.3~rc2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1~lo2
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 4.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk2;
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8); Calc: group
on a Dell Latitude D531 laptop. No mouse. No real desire to buy a mouse. Not much patience left.
Thanks in advance …
Steve

Did you already read this guideline?
I doubt if you will find a contributor here eager to write a new tutorial about preparing brochures for local music venues.
If you know better software for your purpose, you should use it.
If you are a beginner still looking for the appropriate software you should consider you might have misunderstood / misused a feature / tool, and start with a simple question about one issue.

You should also try to be polite even if you didn’t get the best education. The way you are talking about your “Plan B” is not just silly and counterproductive, but also offensive.

Ah, I’ve half-solved it. By anchoring the images to the frame, and setting ‘frame’ as the option for alignment (top and side), I’ve got the pictures where I need them to be. Now I just need to work out how to align the captions and we’re in business.
I think …

This

…post was flagged as inappropriate: the community feels it is offensive, abusive, or a violation of our community guidelines…

… and I can’t find a reason for what a user might have done so. Anyway I have no idea of what the community might feel. .

If somebody is thinking the info I gave is wrong, I kindly ask him (f/m) to take the trouble to write down the reasons in a comment.

Original post (not edited):

Inserting a capture for an image always puts it in a frame.
To use a category (predefined or user defined / for the indexes) with a capture is not mandatory.
You can put frames with images and captures into a table if the subdivision of the page should be that way.strong text

1 Like