How can I connect a MS Access database?

It won’t work to follow the instructions. I have an existing simple database (MS Access 2003) with one table, and when I try to connect, after supplying the new name, program says “The connection to the data source “New Database” could not be established”, and underneath “The connection could not be created. May be the necessary data provider is not installed.” Can anyone tell me what is missing? I have uninstalled and reinstalled Libre Office, but that didn’t help. I did find an old thread/post about downloading some windows drivers, but that was pretty old. I’m using windows 7 pro sp1, 64 bit. Thanks! BTW, it crashes after I close the dialog box.
Edit: I guess I didn’t search very well at the start, I did find some possibilities in the past posts that I’m gonna try.

Following Ratslinger’s previous post, I tried the windows drivers first, didn’t work for me. I think my version of MS Access was 32 bit, downloaded 64 bit drivers, uninstalled the old ones first as they said. I had previously uninstalled Office and Access.
Then I followed your instructions for UCanAccess. When I got to test connection, it said “The connection could not be established”. I went ahead and saved the new file, and got the message “The connection to the external data source could not be established. No SDBC driver was found for the URL ‘~jdbc:ucanaccess//D:\Acadjobs\projects\PROJECTS1.mdb’.” I may have to load MS Office with Access again, because this is what I keep all my project info in, clients, etc, and I will need it tomorrow. I was hoping to cut the umbilical cord and yearly rent from them. Thanks for your time and help. Terry

Add: Well, I got a new message: "“The connection to the external data source could not be established. An unknown error occurred. The driver is probably defective.” I had downloaded the UCanAccess v 4.04 compressed file, so maybe I should be doing something different? Should I be using Jaccess in parameters somehow ?
I’m afraid I’m not very knowledgeable in database or Java, my thing is Cadd.
Thanks again!


Don’t use Windows anymore but if you are still having problems, have a couple of possibilities.

One may be download 'Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable. See tdf107360

Another is to use UCanAccess connector. For that see my answer in this post → mdb files not loading to base.

1 Like

See above, not enough room here


Did notice one problem. In your URL you are missing a colon immediately after ucanaccess. Any incorrect information in this line can be a cause of the problem.

Other notes. This was tested step-by-step on a Win 10 system (used someone else’s system). You can see others have stated it worked for them. I personally have used with multiple Linux systems.

Also, you may not have seen, but this process (and any other to connect Base to Access) only provides access to Table data (possibly some Queries) but nothing for Forms or Reports. Mention this because of your stated need to the Access information.

WOW IT WORKED! I can’t believe I let a colon stump me. I’ve been worrying with this since yesterday after I first posted. I don’t know how many corrections I had already made, trying to follow closely.

I had given up and was re-installing Office. I’ve got a couple of weeks before the rent is due MS again, so it will give me a chance to see if this will work for me. I’m not worried about forms and reports, anyway. I’ve been working on this thing for about 20 years. It’s linked to a master CADD file with all my projects since then. Well, sorta, I’m behind a little (lot). Thanks Again!

BTW, I was talking about the Base instructions would not work to import an mdb, not your instructions. I thought I may be missing something, or drivers, or 32 vs 64 or something.

1 Like