(how) Can I get the Emoji picker back in LO 7.5?

In LO Writer 7.4, I had an Emoji picker available from the Tabbed UI in the Insert tab (it wasn’t availble in the satndard UI). I can’t remember if it was there by default or if I did something (what) to get it.
In LO 7.5, this is gone. I have to pick an Emoji by going into Insert > Symbols, and selecting an Emoji font.
How can I get that back? I haven’t found anything in extensions nor in the UI customizer.

This may or my not apply to the other LO apps.
(On a side notes, the Emoji picker had its own problem: it would always use the EmojiOne Color font, which cannot be printed/exported to PDF. I have found printable Emoji fonts (Noto Color Emoji, Joy Pixels), but can’t place them using the Emoji picker. Hoping to resolve this once I get it back in the UI.

It was removed, see tdf#151197.

Modern systems come with or have an extension for an emoji picker, so individual applications don’t have to care about that anymore and bloat installation with yet another bundled emoji font.

For GNOME for example it’s Ctrl+. which displays an underlined e after which you can hit Space to select from a menu or enter a mnemonic like smile and hit Space Enter to accept or Space Space to select further.

2 Likes

To me, the picker in 7.4 was superior to the solution my OS (Manjaro with KDE) provides. because it would allow to click an Emoji and it would directly be inserted in the document rather than copying from system tool and pasting to document. This procedure also needs repeating for each Emoji - in the LO built-in picker it was just a second click to get a second Emoji, like on mobile phones.
So, I’m sad it was removed :cry: