How can i import ixbrl data? I want to import company fillings from the SEC.

How can i import ixbrl data into Calc? I want to import company fillings from the SEC. I’ve seen templates for google sheets and addons for excel to import xbrl data but nothing for Libreoffice. i don’t want to change to Google sheets but being able to import company fillings automatically is a very powerful tool for me.

The proper way probably would be to pay someone to develop a xbrl import AddOn extension, preferably as open source free software, and have him/her publish it on https://extensions.libreoffice.org/ for the public benefit.

XBRL it’s the worldwide standard to share business information. And looks that in a few years the business world will use it to interchange information. Could it merits a TDF’s tender? (https://www.xbrl.org/)

Correct, being unable to read and export business information in xbrl format makes libreoffice unsuitable for any activity using this information, and that’s a lot of possible users (companies, analysts, personal investors…), Every regulator in the world is already or will soon require company fillings in this format. I don’t know how to submit a proposal for a tender, if someone can tell me I’ll do it and i really would like hope TDF will consider it.

Exactly because it’s a business exchange format it would be nice if those who’d need to use it would pay the development, either as extension or as core filter. Why should TDF tender it from donation money? (apart from that TDF does not tender single feature development but structures and enhancements for the project’s general benefit).

Ok, so being a able to read a world standard for business information does not have any general benefit for an office suite?

Also, is “if you want it pay it” the standard practice for Libreoffice development of new features? I understand asking for general donations but didn’t expect to be asked to pay for it after suggesting an enhancement. It really discourages making suggestions about improvements.

In any case, i don’t want to enter in an argument, as a personal investor i really can’t pay for this. I wish you luck in getting someone to pay for it, but in the meantime I’ll have to use other alternatives and can’t recommend any personal investor to use Libreoffice.

Regards

Maybe a lot of donors incomes are from business companies. In any case it is an open format, with a large international consortium behind. We support ODF, I think we don’t need to restrict to only one open standard format. And I have no doubt it will be in the project’s general benefit, going ahead, looks to me like a window of opportunity.

Ok, so being a able to read a world standard for business information does not have any general benefit for an office suite?

Nowhere did I say that and you are pulling argument out of thin air.
Apparently I also did not get across what I was trying to say.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you use instead.