How can I print the page differences between document versions

I produce manuals that are for ringed binders A4.

I need a way to print out the page differences between two versions so only they are printed where the original page number is used (if set up) and new pages are added with new page numbering continuing from the last page number in the form of nn.1 nn.2 and so on.

This way a document updates report can be produced where only the changes and new pages need to be inserted into a ring binder therefore reduces the number of pages printed.

This is the way that mainframe manufacturers produce manual updates such as ICL, and IBM at least in the past :slight_smile:

This assumes that the versioning is taken from the document file or using files holding the previous and the current version.

Is there a way of doing this ?

I’m looking for the same feature (at least to print a change bar in the margin without the full “track change” information with its color changes and stricken text, which is interesting during the validation process but not when the definitive copy is distributed).

To hte best of my knowledge, you can’t. Pages are allocated on demand and no distinction is made between “original” pages and newly added ones because pages are not managed as primary objects.

A very imperfect work around would delegate the distribution task to some desktop publishing application (DTP) like Scribus in the FOSS world or Quark XPress in the proprietary world.

The schematic workflow would be to edit your document in Writer with all the power of styles and automatic reference generation.

The second step is to copy and paste chapters (easier if you number your pages chapter per chapter) into a DTP document where you manually allocate the pages and can make the distinction between the pages, number them individually (or rather in groups) and optionally add change marks in the margins.

You then print and distribute only the additional pages.

Quite tedious, I admit, but I see no integrated solution in Writer for the time being.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer) or comment the relevant answer.