How can I select a particular row to freeze?

I find under “rows” an option to freeze the first row, but I want to freeze a different row. If I select the row I want, it still freezes the first row. Is there another way? My version is 7.1.4.2.

As far as I know, you cannot freeze row 2 (or any other) while leaving row 1 unfrozen.

But you can choose menu View - Split Window to leave one row in the upper window, and “fix” row 2 to these window.

To do that:

• Go to cell A2
  • Choose menu View - Split Window
  • Click the down arrow in the scroll bar of the upper window to see row 2 instead of row 1

Now you can scroll the lower window, and row 2 will remain visible.

image description

Tested with LibreOffice 7.0.6.2 (x86); OS: Windows 6.1.

See more LibreOffice Help on Freezing Rows or Columns as Headers and on Split Window.

In this particular case I have a heading for the sheet, and below I have column headings. I want to be able to see the column headings even when I get down to (eg) row 100. On excel the options under the row or column symbols were simply “freeze row” or “freeze column” whereas libreoffice has only “freeze first” row or column. However I now find it possible to select via the “View” options at the top ofthe screen.

So the answers of @PKG and @EarnestAl are the right ones.

Retagging to calc.

Since Office 2010 at least, Excel has the same three options, Freeze top row, Freeze first column, and Freeze panes.

The only difference is that Excel calls it Freeze Panes rather than LibreOffice Calc Freeze Rows and Columns

Freezing Rows or Columns as Headers

Freeze rows and or columns in Calc

Why have you tagged this common? It clearly is a Calc question.

Click in cell above which you want the row to be frozen, and to the left of which you want the column to be frozen. In the menu click View > Freeze Rows and Columns

I tagged it common because I didn’t know why I had to choose one or what the tags meant. I was just told that I had to choose a tag so I opted for the first one. Some sort of explanation would be helpful for newbies.