How can I show all files in Save As display windows?

When I save in Calc, initially it presumes I want to Save As .ODS and as such will show me files also saved as .ODS files in the folder displayed. If I switch the Save As Type to .csv, then it will show me only the .csv files in the folder displayed.

I want it to show all files regardless of what Save As Type I have selected. How can I do that?

Hello,

Type * into Filter field.

However Since in fact this functionality is provided by the operating system (more precisely: by the Virtual Class Library - VCL) this may not work in your case. I just

tested on

Version: 7.1.4.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: a529a4fab45b75fefc5b6226684193eb000654f6
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: kf5
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

which is KDE Frameworks 5. Since you did not mention your operating system, I could not test, whether this works for you as well.

Where is this Filter field you refer to? There is no filter field in the Save As display folder. There is a checkbox option for Edit Filter Settings.

I’m using Windows 10. But I have no other windows displays that only show files of certain extensions. Only LibreOffice Save As windows have that behavior as far as I can tell. Perhaps Save As windows in all apps would do that, but I think LO is probably the only app in which I use Save As, and I use it all the time

Tell me your OS (VCL) as per my answer (Info from Help -> About LibreOffice should do it.)

In Windows you need to type * into the file name field (never do this on Linux or macOS)

i’m doing it wrong or I don’t understand: it did not work. Plus, if I’m to type * into the name field, then the rest of the files will disappear after I delete the * in order to name my file – is that correct? That’s livable, but ugly. Is there some Windows hack where I can make all files appear in all Save As folders, every time, no need to put a * or whatever each time?

Of course you need to remove any existing entry - and as told above: This is a function of he operating system dialog and hence LibreOffice cannot do much about that. The only programmable thing might be (I’m not a developer) to leave off any file type information when calling the “Save As” - dialog. But then you need to make an enhancement request at Bugzilla.

Perhaps. Although many apps, IIRC, and according to this brief thread, have an option to Show All Files in the Save As folder, Libre Office does not. That makes it seem like LO has an avenue to include a Show All Files check box in that window, but it’s absent. Or rather, in the Type drop-down, in most apps you can select All Files, and then all files will be displayed. That All Files option on the Type drop down menu is absent.

"But then you need to make an enhancement request at Bugzilla." - what’s unclear with that?

Not unclear at all. Just adding more info for anyone else who might come along. I’m really hoping to hack this rather than submit a feature request.