How can I stop Autocorrect of Numbers in Calc?

I am trying to use Calc for simple databases. I can’t use Base due to compatibility issues and crashes.

I find 1000+ easier to type, easier to read, and easier to sort than ≥1000, so I would prefer to be able to type 1000+ and similar numbers, and not have Calc switch these to 1000.

I know the spreadsheet functions are sometimes useful too-- I have some spreadsheets for quick calculations.

I looked up the autocorrect options here: Deactivating Automatic Changes

In the pas, I’ve formatted all cells to text; is that the best option, or will it break something down the road?

I don’t think this is an AutoCorrect (AutoMessup) action.
Some input is interpreted as “number”, and your 1000+ seems to strangely match an acceptance pattern for numbers.
You may preset the respectice cells to Text in advance. If this can’t be done, you can type a single apostrophe before the “1000+”. It only suppresses the number recognition process, but won’t become part of the string in the cell.
Even better: Don’t invent such hokum.

1 Like

It might be quicker, easier and more obvious to just type 1000 plus

Interestingly, Excel doesn’t allow the trailing sign, while Calc explicitly permits it (see 1- DM comment here; DM stands for German currency there). So 1000+ is equal to +1000, and 1000- is equal to -1000.

And this is the correct option, when you enter text. Of course, you may also prepend with ' to tell Calc explicitly, that it is the text, for the cost of one extra keypress. As you see, Calc tries really hard to recognize all sorts of things that can be numbers, so it may surprise anyone - thus it’s a good idea to be on the safe side, not hope on a random string entry to not happen to match some obscure number format, and simply tell Calc “this is text, do not parse”.

This seems to be a relic of the German origin of StarOffice (ancestor of LibreOffice).
In German banking there was (and partly still is) a tradition of appending signs - if they weren’t replaced completely in account balances by “S” (“Soll”; “-”) and “H” (“Haben”; “+”). See this article in German.
I don’t know about related practises elsewhere.
Yes. There are funny ideas all around, and like “inches” and “imperial miles” (“mileage”) they are persistent if not abandoned explicitly.
(Concerning many old units Germany did it in 1872-01-01.)