How do i attach a photo to a cell?

I am trying to attach a photo to a cell such that when I click on the cell the photo appears. I can do this in Excel but cannot find it in Librecalc. When I look at a file created in Excel with this facility then I can still view it in Libre and it appears with a small red square in the top right corner. The Photo opens up as soon as you click on the cell. So I am assuming you must be able to create it if you can view it.

Like in this thread?

I think they are doing what I am trying to do. Attach a photo to a cell. They don’t say how they did it. I want to shrink the photo down as well so it is not huge. I am also not clear if the photo is always visible. I want it to be hidden but identified in the cell and only expand when the cell is active (similar to a comment). Here is a new link to my file (size reduced)

Error: Sorry, we can’t open your workbook in Excel Online because it exceeds the 25 MB file size limit. You can now close this browser tab

Smaller file now uploaded, thank you for pointing out.

They do. They refer to the menu Insert->Image
Maybe you are using the tabbed GUI. I can’t tell you where to find the function there but, if you use the menu it is the 4th menu from the right…
Edit: Tabbed UI is similiar: Choose Insert as tab first, then the first icon in the group for selecting a file or gallery for that location.

Yes OK. I can see how you attach a photo but it does not work the same way as the ones I imported.
I want a cell containing text and when I click on the cell it opens up the photo, as per the sample spreadsheet I uploaded.
I would very much appreciate any ideas you may have on how to do this.
Nick

Sound like a hyperlink…

Use the ODF ffile format with the LibreOffice.

Linked image.ods (8.1 KB)

Of course you can link images from a locale place too.

What I want to do is not an option in Librecalc. It is an old Excel function which lets you put a picture as a background to a note.
I am going to have to go back to Excel. Thanks for your help.

OK, I can’t do it in LibreCalc. Thanks for your help everyone.

You can do it in the libreOffice, but you must use IMPORTED images (instead of linked images). You can Add/Import your own images to the LibreOffice, then you can assign the desired image to the background area of the Comments:

Background of a Comment.ods (52.9 KB)

It is not a good idea to store a lot of unoptimized images inside the spreadsheet file. A spreadsheet file is not a photoalbum.

2 Likes

Hi

Thank you for your help. I have finally got it to work.

Cheers,

Nick

1 Like