how do I change the default save destination

When I create a new document and save it, it always wants to save it to my Documents folder.
I prefer to always save my new documents to my Desktop.
I can manually change the destination to Desktop, each time I save a new document, but how do I change the default destination, so it always saves to Desktop

Use menu Tools-Options-LibreOffice-Paths and adjust the My Documents entry.

Hello ScrapPaper, instead of saving your document via the menu File:Save ( or CTRL-S ), you could also save your document via the menu “File:Save As” ( or SHIFT-CTRL-S ). In that case it pops up a dialog where you can specify the location to save your document.

Hi Librebel, when I try this I get and error message that I don’t have permission to save to this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission

Thanks, Mike: you suggestion works, though there’s no “Options” under my Tools pull-down menu.
I found it this way:
Preferences > Libre Office > Paths

I then changed the last item on the line “My Documents” from “Documents” to “Desktop” — clicked “OK” — and now the default save destination for all new documents I create is my desktop.

librebel, thanks, too.

With LibreOffice 6.4.6.2 the sequence to get to this setting is Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Paths.

But there is a potential confusion, - or at least there was for me. In the “Type” column, you will see the “My Documents” entry and a “User Path”. That path may look like what you want, but if you select the entry and then select "Edit’, you will see what the path actually is. For me, the path was totally different. But now that you are at the edit step you can make it what you want.