How do I change the page style of a header?

I have a document where I created a header with a certain page style. I want to change the header to another page style, but it doesn’t seem to let me do it. How can I change the page style of a header?

Please elaborate a bit. You don’t change the header to another page style because a header is a property of the page style. Consequently, you rather change the page style to have a different “geometry” (page size, margins, background, …). As a side-effect, you have to regenerate the header.

You can also change the contents of the header without switching to another page style.

Perhaps your question is related to the formatting of the header itself. In which case, you can apply a different paragraph style.

Perhaps your question is about how to have different headers in different parts of the document?

1 Like

Exactly. I’m trying to have different headers for different pages in the document, and I’m having a hard time doing it. I’ll try to apply what you said (as well as floris_v) but any additional comments and insights would be most welcome.

Thank you very much. That worked well. However, I found out that I needed to specify the starting page number before I created the header. Otherwise, LO created a blank page previous starting with page 1.

Yes, you can. Put the cursor in the top parqagraph on the page where you want to start page numbering at 3. Select Format - Paragraph, select the Text flow tab, tick Endings, tick with Page style (select an appropriate page style), tick Page number, enter 3. Read this with that dialog box open, or you will get lost in the details.

1 Like

What exactly is your problem? Don’t you know how to go from one page style to another, or is there something else?

Pardon me, but instead of selecting another paragraph style, I’d modify the Header paragraph style.

Each time you want different headers or to restart page numbering you will need to create a new page style (it can be similar but just a different name). In the Sidebar click the Styles icon, then click the Page style icon along the top of the pane. Right click a page style and select New. In the dialogue box that opens give it a suitable name and make any necessary changes in the properties.

Then click Insert > More Breaks > Manual break. In the dialogue box that opens under Type make sure that Page break is selected, under Page Style select your new page style.

1 Like

Thank you very much, floris_v… Your solution worked. However, I found out that I needed to specify the starting page number before I created the header. Otherwise, LO created a blank page previous starting with page 1

EDIT: mostly rewritten for clarity You can’t. For each page style, you can enable or disable headers and footers, and have different content in them. The formatting of the header and footer is then controlled by the Header and Footer paragraph styles. If you want to have the same content in headers associated with different page styles, you have to copy that content from one header to another, manually. There is no inbuilt command to copy header or footer content from pages with one page style to pages with another page style.

Maybe can help to copy the page style with desired header and in the new style modify the other options of the page.

Is that even possible? You make a new paragraph style descent from an existing one, thereby copying the existing one, and modify whatever you want, but as far as I know, that sadly doesn’t work for page styles.

You can create a new page style from any other, it makes a duplicate of the original, including header/footer. The new one doesn’t inherit any more from the original.

2 Likes

Good news!

In Version: 7.2.5.2.0+ / LibreOffice Community Build ID: 42278cca071176e34782971eb1da0150294081eb CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3 Locale: nl-NL (nl_NL.UTF-8); UI: en-US Calc: threaded that’s still not possible. the field Inherited from is disabled.

1 Like

Hmm.

Works fine in
Version: 7.2.5.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 499f9727c189e6ef3471021d6132d4c694f357e5
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: default; VCL: win
Locale: en-GB (en_GB); UI: en-GB
Calc: threaded

@anon87010807: reread with attention what @mariosv wrote. You can duplicate an existing page style with right-click on its name and New. This creates an exact copy of the style, meaning all parameters are the same as in the source style. But it does not inherit (doesn’t derive) from it because page styles are not allowed to be hierarchically related. A change in the source style will not propagate to the copy.

Consequently, Writer behaves as @mariosv described it. But you won’t get the same behaviour as paragraph styles because Inherit from is disabled for page styles.

Here: LO 7.2.5.2.0+

1 Like

@anon87010807, @ajlittoz,
You are both correct; I tested against a paragraph style. My bad and thanks for the “kick” :wink:

1 Like

I do that copying from Left Page and get a style for Left and Right pages. Nothing is copied. Maybe my installation is flawed, it certainly sends error messages about Java that it shouldn’t complain about as long as Java isn’t required for doing something.

This discussion is very interesting but way over my head! Thanks for all your help!