How do I copy Calc data to a Write table?

Given data in a Calc spreadsheet, how do I copy them to a Writer table? Just the data as text in a table (even if the data are numbers).

I have tried several ways, but without success:

a) Copy the Calc data and insert them into the Writer document. This gives me a Calc object within the Writer document, but with less ability of formatting as would be the case for a table.

b) Creating the table first, then copying the Calc data. This gives me a Calc object within the first cell of the table.

c) As b), but selecting the whole table first. Result is worse: Each cell contains a calc object with all data!

d) Saving Calc data as html or csv, then opening the data and inserting in the table. Still no conversion to table.

Does anybody has a better (and perhaps simpler) idea?

Best regards,
Lars J

Copy Excel data to the clipboard. In Writer, use Paste special → Formatted text (RTF).

1 Like

Thanks, this solves my problem!
(How do I mark question as solved?)

Click on the circle with a checkmark under the control arrows next to my answer to make it green. Optionally, upvote the answer by clicking on the up arrow.

Paste special → Formatted text (RTF) has got a few bugs. If it doesn’t work, try ‘Paste special → HTML’ might be better!

Neither RTF nor HTML work for me. Everything ends up in column 1.Import CSV should be a Table option in Writer - why make it so hard?

Neither RTF nor HTML work for me. Everything ends up in column 1.Import CSV should be a Table option in Writer - why make it so hard?

Past Special->RTF comes closest to working for me, if I select all the columns in one row and paste there. I get the first data item in the first column, then that and more items in the second column, until I have all the data columns (from the source) in the last writer column. What a mess.

First create two Writer documents, one with your table, the other just blank. Copy a column from your Calc document to the clipboard, then paste special as RTF to a blank Writer document. Then copy this list to the clipboard. Highlight the correct column of the table in your other Writer document, and then paste normally, making sure that the number of rows in your target table matches the number of rows in the original range of data.

Down side is that you have to do the same thing for each column in the original Calc document. And I am not sure what happens if you have Return characters in any of the cells of your Calc document. It works okay when there are only simple alphanumeric characters in the cells.

it’s not ideal but it does work.