How do I design a drop-down box that will displays symbols instead of only rectangles?

Software: LibreOffice Calc 4.4.5.2
OpSys: Windows 8.1

I have a drop-down box in the spreadsheet and I’m using enclosed alphanumeric numbers ( with the circle around them ) as well as chess symbols. I can get them to show up just fine in the spreadsheet, as those cells are formatted to WingDings font, and I can select them to show up.

The trouble is, the drop-down box only displays rectangles or dots instead of the symbols. Once selected, they show up OK, but you can’t recognise them in the drop-down box.

I also tried using MS Arial Unicode, but still have the same problem?

Does anyone have a fix for this?

If you are talking about Data/Validity, please find attached a sample file, works for me with a list or with a cell range.DataValidityWithSymbols.ods, symbols were introduced with Insert/special character.

This actually started working all on its own.

The next day, after I reopened Calc and started playing around with it again, they just started showing up. Interestingly, I think this is the second time something like this has happened when I’m doing something new in LibreOffice; I think maybe it just needs to ‘update’ or something. So either switching tabs or closing and reopening might give it time to do that and change the display.

I had something similar happen last month when I was programming a bunch of pie charts and functions into a souped-up spreadsheet.

So…it’s like a piece of hardware–try turning it off and turning it back on again, lol.