How do I edit / add text in in the edit fields function

Hello, I’m trying to edit text in ‘edit fields’ function so it is applied to the same named text in the whole of document. But when double clicking on the field, the edit fields box appears but wont let me open the ‘edit’ function of this process, it just shows the names of the fields (the edit function is transparent).
Please help…

The document in question is in libre office writer. its format is .odt.

i want to edit text to apply to whole document, but the edit option if not opening, any advice?

thanks

Please, reopen your question: press on below it, then on the “pencil” icon. You can now edit/modify it.

If you hope for some useful help, make your problem reproducible and understandable.

First, mention OS name, LO version and save format (.odt vs. .doc(x)).

Then explain how you inserted your “field” (which menu command or keyboard shortcut was used), the type of field you retained and which parameters you entered.

I understand you double-click to edit this field. A dialog appears; which labels or wording is inside it?

If your language is not English, field names and types may have a non obvious translation in English. You can go to Tools>Options, Language Settings>Language to temporarily change the user interface language to English so that we have a common reference system for items in dialogs, menus, …

the edit function box should look

like this

I’m sorry but I can’t still reproduce your issue. I can’t generate a User Field type. So, how did you insert it? Which initial type did you choose in which tab?

Or, attach your document for forensic analysis.

From his screenshot:
Win11 / LO version unknown / saves as .odt, but there is the word template in the filename

Seems to be english, and the edited text is “English (Australia)”

Not in version 24.8.1.2

You can try to change it in the Insert field dialog

1. Ctrl+F2
  2. Tab Variables
  3. Type User field, Select [the field you want] Format:Text
  4. Use the text boxes below and click the tick :ballot_box_with_check:
  • (you don’t need to insert it)

Thank you for your help. After trying your suggestion, it does change the original field name, but doesn’t apply to the whole of the document.

If you change the field name I think you should change every field with the old name in the document.

What is is automatic when the field value is changed.

Thank you for the suggestion, however the field names / titles are locked and unchangeable.