How do I get it to stop replacing text when I type?

When I try to correct an entry it types over what is there rather than add letters.

You have inadvertently switched to “overwrite” mode . This should be reported in the bottom status bar.

Either click on word “Overwrite” in the status bar to clear it or press the Ins key on your keyboard.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.

Thanks! I did have it accidentally pressed the INS key on my computer. I do not see the word “overwrite” on the status bar. Is it actually the word or an icon?

Maybe the status bar is hidden. Check View>Status Bar. Also exact wording (full word or abbreviation) may depend on LO version. Mine is 7.1.4.2.

Thank you so much! I just updated to 7.1.4.2. I do see the word overwrite on the very bottom. I was looking at the icons not the last row with actual words. You just made my day!!