How do I get to see hyperlinks?

I’ve used LO writer for Many years and could Always see what I’ve entered as a link with ^K with blue underscore. I updated to 7.6.7.2 and now I can’t see them. I have to remember or guess where a link is and hover over it to see the “^click” prompt. I don’t see a setting I can change so that I can see it easily the way I used to.

This talks about making sure you’re in an odt file. I’m always in native LO files, maybe export to *.doc once a year for people who don’t use LO.

How do I get the normal hyperlink display back?

Edit: I created a new (untitled) file and also called up existing odt file that I also work with frequently. It works in those as it used to.

I added a link to the problem file, and it’s working as it used to.

I found that, in the problem file, the text that I had created as a link was the first characters of paragraphs. Like “Edit:” above. When I add a space before the text, the link appears as it used to. When I remove the leading space, the blue underscore display disappears (the link is still there and works).

Possibly, you have High Contrast mode set in your operating system or in LibreOffice? High Contrast in LibreOffice removes colour on screen but you can turn it off in LibreOffice, click Tools > Options > Accessibility and set High contrast to Disable
If it isn’t that then in the Sidebar, select Styles then Character Styles. Right click Internet Link and select Edit style, select the tab Font Effects and change the Font colour to 000080. If you want the underlining then change underlining to Single in the same dialogue

Thanks. Please see my Edit to the original post.

It must be something in the original file as a new hyperlink at the beginning of a paragraph in 7.6 works fine, even after saving, closing completely and reopening. Even including a leading space in the hyperlink causes no problems.
You could create a smaller file that still shows the bug and add it to a new bug report, How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

Thanks. Will do that. Just found it in another location.
“Aug 4” shows normal behavior with color and underscore.
“Dowd” shows the “Ctrl-click” instruction and works, but it doesn’t display normally.

What happens if you select the word Dowd and click Format Clear direct formatting (Ctrl+M)? Does it go blue?
Direct formatting will always override styles, so if you select “Aug 4”, right click it, select Character and change the colour and underline attributes to something else then you can make it match Dowd in appearance.

The image doesn’t look like a bug, just direct formatting.

Yes it does go blue. You’re good. Everybody says so…

So if I select text, bold it with ^B (direct formatting?), and then make it a link – the blue/underscore will be suppressed?

Writer is based on styles and various styles follow a precedence rule:

• paragraph styles are at the bottom of the hierarchy,
  • character styles override paragraph styles,
  • direct formatting overrides both

The situation gets complicated with hyperlinks because Writer adds automatically Internet Link character styles in an intermediate layer between character styles and direct formatting. This is a rare case where two character styles are implicitly applied.

You can explicitly apply several character styles but it is quite difficult to do and I don’t recommend it if you edit the area: there is no UI to control the precedence between character styles (they are taken in the order of application and if you edit the sequence, you completely lose track of the applications) and applying new character styles on a portion only of the sequence creates a really unmanageable mess.

No. The precedence rule mentioned above should be read attribute per attribute.
Your direct formatting here forces weight (bold) only. This weight takes precedence over the weight defined in Internet Link. This style has no bold; there is no conflict. Your direct formatting has no other attribute. Consequently, the other attributes (colour and underline) are untouched.

But, if you select your text, force it to red and add your hyperlink, the hyperlink remains red because you have a conflict between the colour in the character style and direct formatting. According to the precedence rule, direct formatting wins.

Thanks. That explains it enough.