How do I get Writer to advance a full page?

I’m working with an 8 1/2x11 page size, full screen, and book view. When I do page up or page down, I want to jump to top of the next (or prior) page(s). Currently, I’m often dropped in seeing only the upper half or lower half of a page. Think of the problem as I want an integer jump, not a fractional jump.

I don’t know a solution to the problem if you are simply viewing already-written text. But if you are writing text and want to continue at the top of what will become the “next” page, use menu Insert → Page Break.

Insert page break (C) is fine for a new page. The challenge is to jump full pages of existing text.

I dont think this is what you are looking for. If you have the side panel open, select the navigator panel. In the navigator panel is a navigation button, it had a drop down to select how you want to navigate. I your case look for the page icon. and select that. this enables the page up/down keys move you a full page. However; this doesn’t move the cursor it stays where you put it last. Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Closer, but not a full page jump. No worries if the cursor doesn’t come along.

At 100% and full screen, the page break is out of sync with the screen and/or page size. That is, with every , the page moves toward the bottom of the screen.

From my pov the only way is to use CTRl+G and to enter <shown_number>+1

Went there, did that, landed in the middle of a page.

I’m starting to get the feeling Writer just won’t work the way I’m looking for. As an example of what I want, see Adobe Reader in “full page” mode.

the page break is out of sync with the screen and/or page size

I think you will find that in LO the page breaks are controlled precisely by the size of the font and the size of the intended paper page. The “page up/down function” is probably controlled by your Operating System and should (or maybe not) default to moving by the size of the display in your window or on your screen. With a bigger screen or higher screen resolution, the page up/down jumps will be bigger, whereas the page breaks will remain the same.

That’s a fair statement of the problem. It seems that LO Writer ignores page breaks and only counts lines. Feh.

Yes, “LO Writer ignores page breaks” because you use the Page Up/Down keys which are probably controlled by the OS, and the LO developers didn’t want to mess with that. Do you know of any software that treats page up/down differently??

Adobe Reader is one example.

ve3oat - is that a Canadian ham call sign? 73 DE KC3DOO

Adobe Reader would do it. But Reader is a different kind of program, needing only to display prepared documents having a strictly defined format. LO Writer, on the other hand, is a general purpose word processor, for creating and editing documents with many different features and layouts. The list of available “commands” in Writer would surprise most people by its length and complexity. In providing all of these commands, some choices had to be made. One choice was the interpretation of the Page Up/Down keys.

KC3DOO QSL BT VY 73 DE VE3OAT

LOL No doubt there are a few people wondering what the heck that’s about. Anyway, nice to see another ham (which should again get people wondering).

It looks as though I’m out of luck this feature. Oh, well, life goes on.

I may have found a solution for you. You will need to test this out and report back here.
Check, Tools/Customize in the dialog that opens select the keyboard tab. There are options here for what looks like adding key-combos to LO. There are two sections “Shortcut Keys” and “Functions”. I think Functions might be what you are looking for. Check for “Navigate” in the category column. I think you can add a key combo here to do certain tasks as predefined in within LO. Good Luck! , I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll see if I can drag something out of LO.
IMHO this should be a no-brainer instead of having to coerce LO into “playing nice”.

You might consider writing up your requirement and formally submitting it as a Feature Request.

I agree - anything else is simply not working. Digging into functions, Page Up & Down are defined as moving up and down a page but… that’s why we’re here, isn’t it?

How do I submit a feature request? Darned if I can find a way to do it.

Please read this Introduction - Feature Request and what it states about where Feature Requests should go to.

Um… not what I’d call blindingly obvious to find. Particularly when thinking I’m not reporting a bug. >:(

NTL request filed.