How do I make all contractions auto correct to have the apostrophe?

Currently, when I type ‘cant’ it doesn’t autocorrect to ‘can’t’, is it possible to do this, as in Office?

Hello

add a replacement definition in Tools -> AutoCorrect -> AutoCorrect Options ... -> Tab: Replace and add
Replace cant
With can't

and click button New and finallly OK

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I began doing this, I was just hoping there might be a way that it would recognise all these similar contractions and add the ’ automatically in all of them.

also, that method doesn’t seem to be updating them either for some reason!

I tested before posting - so please mention your operating system and LibreOffice version and carefully check that language setting in dropdown Replacement and exceptions for language matches your actual document language.

Tested using LibreOffice:

Version: 6.3.3.2, Build ID: a64200df03143b798afd1ec74a12ab50359878ed
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 4.12; UI render: default; VCL: kde5;
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US, Calc: threaded

In fact I find that a bad idea, because without a real grammar checking this will produce unintentional results (cant could be also a noun or even a verb).

To base autocorrect on similarity is not a good idea. In my view, uing autocorrect for this is a bad idea anyway, but if you must, at least make sure that you decide for yourself what you want to automate.

So, why don’t you want the “similarity engine”?

• Cant and can’t are both valid words. They don’t mean the same.
  • The same goes for won’t and wont.
  • A similarity correction engine would probably catch “rant”, but I guess you don’t ever want to write “ran’t”.

Hi, it’s LibreOffice 6.3 and Windows 10 and the document languages match. Another issue I’m having if you wouldn’t mind lending a hand, is whenever I highlight anything I’m not sure how to turn highlighting off again, clicking the icon for it doesn’t seem to do anything?

Note that entering an autocorrect item will not correct previous mistyping in your document, only future edits. Use find/replace to correct existing content.

Also I apologize to Opaque about my previous comment which was misplaced. Intended target was the question, not this answer. Anyway, it seems that we agree on the issue as commented so hopefully no offense was taken from it :wink: