How do I move multiple shapes in libreoffice writer?

I can select multiple, but whenever I try to move anything only one thing moves, this is driving me crazy, I can’t figure it out.

im on:
Version: 24.8.2.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d9536723ce640b70ba821dfcf645a2e946c0bf76
CPU threads: 20; OS: Linux 6.11; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-CA (en_CA.UTF-8); UI: en-US
24.8.2-1.1
Calc: threaded

Don’t create complex drawings in Writer. Its drawing features are rather limited (by design). They are here for simple things like cul-de-lampe insertion (though there are better ways to do it).

Create your drawings in Draw. Group the shapes before copy. Paste the resulting merged object into Writer.

If I can select three shapes then I can then move them unless one or more is protected. With your shapes selected, click Format > Text box and shape > Position and size. In the Position and Size tab, under Protect if either Position or Size is showing as being selected or partly selected, then click on it to make it blank. OK
In the image below untick both Position and Size to allow the selection to be moved.

How about this? Once you have the multiple shapes selected, click Format > Group > Group and then you can move the group.

1 Like

I can’t confirm the reported problem.
With V 24.8.2.1 under Win 10, locale and UI en-CA
a multiselection of shapes can be moved by dragging with ClickLeftButton as expected. (There is a little strangeness, however.)
Can this depend on the OS and/or window manager?

Thank you, switching to LibreOffice Draw was a lot better!

For me select individual shapes with shift select, and then trying to move them worked perfectly, but using the mouse cursor selection box and dragging one caused only that to drag, not everything selected. But after trying again today, I can’t reproduce the problem. Thanks for the help though!