how do I number each page of a multi-page document I am writing, then printing?

what details?

this is a simple question and when I use the F1 help I am faced with so much complication that I am too frustrated to understand anything there.

and here, too. this is all so complicated. what is “tags” about? I have no idea what it means to give this a “tag” so I just picked one at random and then a drop down menu showed up and I had no idea what to do next so I just kinda ignored it. what is “community wiki (karma” etc) about? absolute bottom line, how come while libre and flash and adobe and microsoft and firefox and etcetera… all call it “updating” all that ever happens is it all gets more complicated and more difficult and that includes that it is much more difficult to try to get help now than it used to be!

oh… and will any reply I get to this question show up in my email? if not, I have no idea how to find the answers that my question might generate.

which brings me to a larger question - how can a person talk to anyone with the libre open office thingum to actually get answers? I’ve been using libre office with no issues until the latest updated version and suddenly a lot of things just don’t work.

Duplicate of this question

Software is complicated, my LibreOffice Writer guide contains 465 pages, but the Getting Starting Guide is a slimline 389 pages. You can download copies of the manuals but Chapter 4 of the Starting Guide (Getting Started with Writer) has the answer to your problem. As also does Help, INDEX > page numbers > inserting/defining/formatting.

On my system (LibO 5.1, EN-GB, Linux-Mint Mate 17.3) it is useful to provide background information, I need to place the cursor where I want the page number then to select INSERT > PAGE NUMBER > then follow through on FIELD or HEADER/FOOTER.

The more information you give, the easier it is for someone to help

I just now found that my question from 4 years ago was ever answered. but I cannot follow the above. I have no Getting Started Guide or LO Writer guide and no idea how to find one to read online. I cannot find “Help, INDEX PAGE NUMBERS” when I try Help I am told only one thing - that I do not have L/O help installed on this computer. with no Instructions on how to find it to download or to use online. My system is Windows 10. I don’t know any of the rest of whatever info you need to answer. I cannot find "INSERT PAGE NUMBER FIELD or HEADER/FOOTER. I have given up, I write dozens of papers annually that I share with literally thousands of people and cannot number the pages!

To insert page numbers you need to turn on Footers first. Right-click on the page and from the context menu select Page Style… . A dialog window will open with 10 tabs, click on the tab labelled Footer.

Near the top left of that, there is a box labelled Footer on, click on the box to tick it. OK out and the dialog window will disappear.

Scroll down to the bottom of the Writer page and click below the normal text area in the bottom margin. Your cursor should start blinking in the bottom margin at the left.

If you have a Standard Toolbar, in the menu click Insert | Page Number (click on Insert, then in the menu that opens, click on Page Number)

If you have the tabbed interface, then click on the Insert tab, roughly in the middle there is an icon Field, Click on the down arrow to the right of it and select Page Number

If this answers your question, please click the tick next to the answer. Cheers, Al

@EarnestAl
this didn’t work… so I could go no further:
“Scroll down to the bottom of the Writer page and click below the normal text area in the bottom margin. Your cursor should start blinking in the bottom margin at the left.”
cursor did not blink. not sure what you meant though by Writer page. I have a 19 page document I tested this on… went to the bottom of the first page after clicking on footer in the menu you directed me to. at this point I give up. it is all far too complicated and I will not ever be able to remember the process even if I were to get it to work on this one document. which I was not able to do.

thanks for trying,

Too bad. In NZ there are free courses available for basic computer skills, these are often advertised in libraries and community centres; maybe you can find something similar near you. Cheers, Al