How do I prevent Writer from changing fractions to dates when converting text to table?

Greetings,
I have a tab-separated text that contains a number of fractions: 1/3, 2/3, 1/6, 5/6 etc.
When I convert the text to a table, the fractions are converted to dates. How do I prevent this from happening?
Thank you in advance.

Without technical information (OS name, LO version, save format) nor my crystal ball which is out for maintenance, I can only guess. I assume you Table>Convert>Text to Table, but is Table>Number Recognition ticked?

If you want to keep your text unchanged, make sure Table>Number Recognition is unticked.

menu:Tools>Options>Languages>General
Your “Date Acceptance Pattern” includes D/M or M/D. Just change it to D/M/ or M/D/ respectively, so 1/2/ is recognized as date but not 1/2

1 Like

If you think to need Number Recognition in different cases, make sure at least that your language settings under
>Tools>Options>Languages and Locales>General>>Formats>Date acceptance patterns does not contain one of the entries D/M or M/D which cause trouble again and again.
If you once more think you need a shorthand representation for dates following US or UK habits, diasmbiguate by an additional character like in D/M/ or M/D/.

2 Likes

Apologies for the missing information. Here it is.
Version: 24.2.3.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 433d9c2ded56988e8a90e6b2e771ee4e6a5ab2ba
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: default; VCL: win
Locale: en-GB (en_GB); UI: en-GB
Calc: threaded

That did the trick - thank you for your help!

As already said replying to another answer, that did the trick - thank you for your help!