How do I put images where I want them to be? (I.e., I believe this is a bug.)

I have finally figured out why I can’t put a certain image where I want it on the page. It’s about 3x5 (wxh). LOW will NOT put it on the left margin no matter what I do, no matter how I configure the anchor or wrap settings. It’s the only image on the page that gives me this problem. It’s also the only image on the page that is rotated. Eureka! Somehow LOW wants to lay it out as if it were still 5x3.

This was going to be a question, but now I’d call it a bug report.
This is:
Version: 7.3.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 6.0; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.1
Calc: threaded

1 Like

Did you insert as OLE object? Try deleting the image and clicking Insert > Image instead unless you really do need it linked so image will change after you alter the original.

BTW this is not the place to report bugs, see How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

Your description is not detailed enough to see if you fell into bug tdf#125594. Please give more information about context.

1 Like

In addition to what @EarnestAl and @ajlittoz wrote, I want to mention that the phrase that I quote is either incomplete, or shows a misconception: you want to define a position, but mention anchoring and wrapping. See this FAQ.

pic@left_margin.odt (81.9 KB)

1. Insert some dummy text (auto-text “lorem”)
  2. menu:Insert>Image… at start of 2nd paragraph and pick a portrait foto.
    The new image is anchored to the cursor position.
    According to my Writer settings, images are inserted without caption frame. A surrounding frame makes things complicated.
  3. Right-click>Rotate 90° left in order to turn it into a landscape foto.
  4. Shift+Drag&Drop to resize while keeping the ratio.
  5. Use left arrow key to move the selected image to the left margin.

As a first approach, good, but logically wrong.
Moving manually a frame (or image but an image defines anyway a frame) will not align it at left margin but relative to paragraph area (equivalent to left margin). To really align it flush at left margin, right-click on image and Properties, Position & Size tab. In horizontal position, choose Left instead of From left caused by manual drag.

Only manipulationg the properties can guarantee reliable and stable position. Better, use a frame style.

Anyway, I see that they are two bugs:

• in presence of indent, the indent may be used twice, depending on the alignment reference of the image
  • a rotated image always result in bad positioning: I suspect the image position is computed before rotation is taken into account then the image is rotated around its center of gravity which results in faulty alignment with a rectangular image.

I’ll file a detailed bug report when I have time. As far I can estimate it, the second mishap is related to tdf#125594.

I am experiencing this problem too. It occurs when you rotate an image that was horizontal into a vertical position, and the previous horizontal margin still exists. This makes it quite irritating when the goal is to align the image to the right side of the page, as that invisible margin interferes.