How do I set capitalization in footnotes

Background:

1. It seems the default setting for capitalization in footnotes is to automatically capitalize the First word, only if there are at least two words in the footnote. The capital can be changed manually to lowercase, but this requires an additional four keystrokes (home,right arrow, delete, ( lower case letter). Not a killer, but small amount of tedium.

2. I found out how to set the style of footnotes to all lowercase, via F11, rt click Footnote, Modify and then Font Effects, Effects:Lowercase. I thought that solved the issue.

3. However, on my next work session, I had a footnote which required two words to be capitalized in the footnote, and the ‘lowercase’ setting does not permit that.

4. Using Tools-Footnotes and Endnotes doesn’t give me any options that I can recognize as addressing the issue.

Question:

Is there a setting that will NOT initiate capitalization on the first word in a string, but WILL allow me to capitalize any words which require it?

I have returned the default style for Footnotes to “Effects:(Without)”, and am using the manual fix.

Edited by ajlittoz only formatting to make the question more legible

Do you rely on implicit capitalisation at the beginning of every sentence?

If no, you can disable auto-capitalisation in Tools>AutoCorrect>AutoCorrect Options, Options tab. You’ll have then to press Shift with the first letter of sentence.

If answer is yes, then all you can do is spare one key stroke in your sequence (because I feel you really meant “backspace” instead of “delete”: “backspace” is backward erase and “delete” is forward erase) with Home, Del, lowercase letter.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer) or comment the relevant answer.

YES! This solves the problem nicely!
I knew there had to be a way to do it, jut couldn’t find my way among the features, as I am a new user.

To clarify the ‘backspace’ vs. ‘delete’ key: Yes, the ‘delete’ key IS the key I use, because I add an extra space between the footnote number and the beginning of the footnote. So, I hit ‘home’, taking me to the beginning of the line (less footnote number), then ‘right arrow’, to move right one blank space previously inserted, then ‘delete’, to delete the next character, which is the undesired capital letter.

I have made the changes you suggested, and run a couple of footnotes to make sure that it is working. It DOES! That’s great, and thank you so much.
Unfortunately, since I’m a newbie with only one point, I don’t have enough to upvote your answer. Regrets.

You don’t need to add a space after the note number. This can be automated. Modify the Footnote paragraph style. In the Indents & Spacing tab, set an indent in Before text (I use 0.6 cm) and the same negative value in First Line. The note number will be aligned with the margin and the note, even if multi-line, aligned on the indent. Indent is fixed by nature, while a space has variable width depending on justification. You can trust spaces to “align” text.

As I still cannot check myself, I’m curious: doesn’t simple ctrl+z undo the autocapitalization?

Yes, even simpler than changing AutoCorrect settings.

I tried the CTRL-Z suggestion (after reversing the corrections I made via “Tools>AutoCorrect>AutoCorrect Options, Options tab.” as suggested first). Yes, it will reverse the auto-capitalization, but I have to execute the command immediately after typing the first word, and before typing the second. That would be a good choice if I had very few footnotes, but in my current 37 page document, I’m at 302 footnotes and counting. I think the global change suggested earlier is my best solution, given frequent footnotes in an ongoing massive project.
Compared to my earlier 4-keystroke solution, though, CTRL-Z is a better solution. I’d just have to program my spinal cord to develop the new habit.

Wow, extra extra help, with the footnote alignment suggestion! Thanks! I’ll give that one a try.

Extra wow! I used the footnote alignment solution you proposed, and it’s working flawlessly!

I’m not used to having all these features at my disposal. I suppose it’s because I rarely have to use footnotes in my regular work. This is a specialized project I’m doing, though, and this is great stuff.

Thank you VERY much for the help!