How do I set heading font size in a style?

I want to set a heading size to 14pt. When I try to change the style, I’m given a list of percentages. I’ve found information about this, but I don’t want to learn about it - it’s too long and complicated. I just want to set a heading style to a font size. Surely this must be possible?

How do you expect to be able to use any application if you “don’t want to learn about it”.

As @gabix said, replace the percentage by you desired type size.

In the same way that I can drive a car without knowing how the engine works. I just want to create a simple document, not spend several hours learning about percentages (but thanks to gabix, I don’t :))

And you never learned how to use the brake and accelerator pedals? the steering wheel and the various knobs on the dashboard? Knowing how the engine works is equivalent to knowing how the Writer as a software is written.
I never saw a line of the code. However I carefully read the manual and practised a bit. I think I reached a level of expertise few people share.

Yes, that’s true - understanding the engine is equivalent to understanding the code. I take it back.
But, but, but - learning how to use the steering wheel etc. took seconds (steering is intuitive, in fact), whereas there was a huge amount to read about percentages (I couldn’t find gabix’s advice to just ignore percentages and type size anywhere).

“Intuitive” is usually an excuse for “I don’t want to change my routine”. Writer is a tremendously powerful application which goes far beyond the antiquated mechanical typewriter. You can use it as a mechanical typewriter and this could eventually be called “intuitive”.
But when you come to automate your formatting and begin to imagine sophisticated layout/look for your document, i.e. switch to styles, you must read the fundamentals because this is yet another approach to text processing. You no longer have pedals and wheels but a set or pre-recorded sequences of actions triggered by “other controls”. And since the look of a document is strictly personal (no two users have the same tastes), you can’t rely on some pre-boiled rules. You design your own rules. And this can’t be done without learning and, above all, practising.

Not an ‘excuse’ - of course I don’t want to change my routine. I was just looking for a simple solution.

Just type in 14 pt.

2 Likes

ha! thanks. that works.

1 Like

If that fixed it, please mark it as the solution (click the three dots icon, then click the obvious).