How do I sum the values from two adjacent cells in a row from one sheet into a cell in a second sheet of the same workbook

I am using using Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon with LibreOffice 4.2.7.2. I have tried to use the Data\Consolidate feature to make this happen without any success. I used this feature successfully with an earlier version of Linux Mint in years past but without success in the current version of Mint. Instead of summing the values from cells A3 and B3 of Sheet 1 (with values of 2 and 4 respectively) and displaying a value of 6 in cell A1 of Sheet2, the displayed result in Sheet2 is a value of 2 in Cell A1 and a value of 4 in Cell B1. Cell B1 should not display any values at all. The result is the same regardless of how I set up the options. Can you enlighten me please.

Why do you want to use a special tool for the task? You might simply place the formula =SUM($Sheet1.$A$3:$B$3) in cell A1 of ‘Sheet2’.

Thank you
for your helpful suggestion Lupp. The reason I chose this method is because I was looking for the prescribed way to accomplish this and this is what my LibreOffice search response produced. I had used it successfully before quite some time ago. I really enjoy the LibreOffice products but am still a newbie regarding the depth of knowledge needed to be really effective. I also have many inputs to make and was looking to automate my effort as much as possible.

@Lupp 's comment is absolutely correct.

However, it would be interesting to know what formula you have in your cells of Sheet2? Please also inform it the formulas change after saving, closing and opening the file.

Consider also to possibility that you have a bug. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86652
Upgrading to 4.3 solves the problem.

Thanks for your reply ROSt52. There was no formula associated with the values displayed in either cell of Sheet2. This is what was throwing me. Having referred back to my existing spreadsheet where I had used the Consolidate tool before, those formulas were present. I use the Linux Mint Synaptic Package Manager for installing my apps. Version 4.3 is not available yet. In the meantime, I will use Lupp’s much appreciated suggestion.