How do I turn off automatic font color?

I’ve created a family group record form in a spreadsheet. I use a different-colored font for each information source. In previous versions of LibreOffice the font color remained the color I selected when going from one cell to another. Since upgrading to version 7, the font color always reverts to black. How do I turn off automatic font color?

I suggest you to use the Cell Styles instead of the direct formatting method.

The created Cell Styles always can remember the font color what you have selected. And you will able to change the color of all cells easily where the specific Cell Style was applied by modifying the Style property.

Note: the actual Fresh versions (the 7.x.x versions today) are not publishad for the “average users” and those are not recommended for daily works. These versions are published for enthusiasts, for earlay-users, testers, volunteers.

Use the latest Still version (LO 6.4.6 today) for your works.

Cell styles will not work for me. I often have two or more colors within the same cell. I use a different color for each source of information. For example, I might find a person’s first and last name in a census record. I will add the information in blue. Later on a birth certificate I might find a middle name. I will insert the middle name in green. In this way, I can tell at a glance where I found each piece of information.

In my opinion it is not the best solution to put different informations (what you want to handle differently) into one single cell. (Or… maybe the Calc is not the best tool for your task.)

“Note: the actual Fresh versions (the 7.x.x versions today) are not published for the “average users” and those are not recommended for daily works. These versions are published for enthusiasts, for early-users, testers, volunteers.”

I wish I’d known that before I updated to version 7. I wouldn’t have updated. The old version was doing exactly what I needed. I hope downloading version 6 again will work for me as well as it did before I updated it.

" I hope downloading version 6 again will work for me as well as it did before I updated it."
It will. Make a clean reinstall: delete the remaining parts of the program and the User profile manually after a regular reinstall of the LO 7.x.x. Then reboot the computer, and finally install the older version.

I’ve discovered that the selected color remains until I change it again, but in the previous versions the letter A in the icon changed to the selected color. In version 7 the A remains black. Is there any way to fix it so the icon shows the font color in version 7?

Please do **not** use *Add Answer* if you actually don't answer a question but commenting an answer or responding to another user’s comment. Please use ***add a comment*** for that purpose. Thanks in advance …

This appears to be the Automatic Contrast “Feature” in Calc (and I presume other Libre Office tools). This is yet another example of how the Microsoft mindset of “We know better than you do what you should do.” creeping into open source tools sets.

To disable Automatic Contrast in Version 7.1.4.2; from the top menu select Tools, Options, Accessibility. Uncheck the “Use automatic font color for screen display” option.

RANT: This bug should never have been enabled by default in the first place. It is up to the user to determine how and if they want high contrast and to determine for themselves the color schemes to use on their work. Forced Automatic Contrast on text is a major issue and should be immediately set to disabled by default in the next point release.

“Use automatic font color for screen display”

…is disabled by default. Try the Reset button in the Accessibility dialog.