How do I use Master Document under the following requirements

I am writing a book, and I have the following items:

1. Title page;
  2. Copyright page;
  3. Dedication page;
  4. TOC
  5. Chapter 1;
  6. Chapter N

Do all these items need to be in separate documents or can I have the first 4 in the Master Document and the Chapter documents in separate files? In short, how would I organize for the above?

Organise the document any way is convenient for you. The only restriction is on the TOC. It is a generated table, as a consequence it needs visibility on the whole document so that all headings are collected. Therefore, you should put its placeholder/generation directive, i.e. the Insert>TOC & Indexes>TOC & Indexes command in the master document itself.

To avoid confusion in the future as to what your master document is about, I recommend that your title page, at least is part of the master document. Unless you use a “standard” copyright page shared between several documents, write it also in the master document. The dedication page is also short and specific to a document, there no definite advantage to have it in a separate document.

To summarise, the master document will contain:

1. Title page
  1. Copyright or “Insert” Copyright document
  2. Dedication
  3. TOC
  4. “Insert” chapter 1 document

N. “Insert” chapter N document

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!