How do I use two different styles of footnotes throughout a Writer document?

I want to use both 1,2,3 etc. and a,b,c, etc. simultaneously to differentiate between the author’s and editor’s footnotes. Is this possible?

This is possible, albeit to the cost of manual handling.

Assuming that author’s notes are more numerous than editor’s note, use the common însert>Footnote & Endnote>Footnote for autjor’s notes. They will be numbered 1, 2, 3.

When an editor wants to add notes, însert>Footnote & Endnote>Footnote or Endnote will open a "manual selection dialog. In Numbering section, choose Character and type a letter in the text box. Your editor’s note will be numbered manually a, b, c.

If author and editor are not the same person, select the auto-numbered notes for the lesser skilled person. Numbering style can be set in Tools>Footnotes & Endnotes. Make the automatic series for this person, though it may put a high (undesirable) burden on the one with the highest number of notes. This could cause trouble if notes are added, needing a renumbering.

Consider also the use of comments if editing work in not related to document topic by itself but is about typos, formatting, general remarks (material which will not be part of final copy). Everything which is temporary in document construction should be handled with Track changes features or comments (comments are automatically attributed to its author if Tools>Options, LibreOffice>User Data has been filled) .

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer) or comment the relevant answer.

Thank you so much, I will give it a try. Manually changing the editor’s footnotes should be pretty easy, as I am having to add them in manually from the original manuscript anyways. I appreciate your quick and thorough response!