how do I view index entries

I created an index where some of the entries are too generic and find as many as 50 or more entries. I need to go back into the document and remove some of the markings to make the list more manageable.

I assume you’re working with Writer and that your question is not about the AskLO site. So please, retag to replace common by writer and remove meta (used for questions about AskLO).

Edit your question to improve its description. Mention your LO version and OS name.

Please do not use Add Answer but edit your original question to enhance the details of your question (answers are reserved for solutions to a problem on this Q&A site).

While waiting for more information, here are some clues:

• enable View>Formatting Marks
  • enable View>Text Boundaries to see the limits of text
  • enable View>Field Shadings, this will add a (non-printing) gray background everywhere there is somm “hidden” technical information, notably index entries

Once you’ve located an index entry (gray shading), right-click on it and Index Entry. You can now edit it.

Below the entry boxes and above the bottom buttons, there are 2 thick black arrows. They allow to navigate to the previous/next index entry.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.