How do you insert em or en spaces between words? (Writer) -dashes

Every word processor or publishing application I ever used allowed you to insert em, en, thick, or thin spaces between words or even letters. (These spaces are also known as quads to typographers.) i am going nuts trying to make Writer do this. When I ask this question of a search engine, only hits for em and en dashes appear.

Is there some exotic way to do this with Unicode characters? I don’t know how to insert Unicode in Writer.

Every word processor or publishing application I ever used allowed you to insert …

i am going nuts trying to make Writer do this.

Is there some exotic way to do this … ?

Please describe how did other applications allowed that. Otherwise, it’s impossible to know what you consider “normal” way (that you expected and called “this”, and somehow didn’t find), and what is “exotic” for you.

E.g., there’s an “Special Character” in Writer’s Insert menu. Is it exotic?

You didn’t mention your OS name (and LO version either). Usually, the keyboard manager in every OS contains contorted ways to input infrequent characters with combinations of Shift, Alt Gr, Alt and Ctrl modifier keys. Have you checked this?

Hello,

if you know the Unicode U+<unicode> immediately followed by ALT+X keys inserts the Unicode character.

Example:

According to Insert -> Special Character -> Search: EN SPACE en space has unicode 2002 you need to type:

U+2002ALT+X

Note(s)

• In some language environments (locales) the finalizing key sequence is ATL+C instead of ALT+X
  • EN QUAD: 2000
  • EM QUAD: 2001
  • EM SPACE: 2003
  • THIN SPACE: 2009

Ref.: LibreOffice Help - General Shortcut Keys in LibreOffice - Entering Unicode Characters

Hope that helps.

In addition, if these characters are frequently used in your documents, you can assign them a shortcut with Tools>Customize, Keyboard tab.