How to activate bold, underline, etc without applying it to surrounding text

I’m trying to add subscript numbers next to variables. However, when I press ctrl+shift+b, it turns the surrounding characters subscript as well.

I can see why this is a feature, and I understand it has its use cases, but I’d like to disable it so that the formatting only applies to characters I’m about to type, instead of characters that have already been typed.

This happen when the cursor is in a word (between two characters). I can’t find a related configuration. Maybe in Expert Configuration.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions. Please, click edit below your question if you want to add more information.

Please, choose retag (below your question), delete common, type writer (or calc if apply) and press Enter twice. Thanks. The common tag is for all LibreOffice modules (Writer, Calc, Draw, etc.). The meta tag is for matters related to this site.

Two-key start-end workaround:

• Press F8 (to switch to Extending selection mode)¹
  • Press Ctrl+Shift+B²
  • Type the subscript numbers
  • Press F8 (to return to Standard selection mode)

Three-key workaround (this way you don’t need to remember to get out of Extending selection mode):

• “Select nothing” (that is: hold Shift and press Left Arrow and Right Arrow, or Right Arrow and Left Arrow
  • Press Ctrl+Shift+B²
  • Type the subscript numbers

¹ Or choose Extending selection in the status bar.

² Or the shortcut for the desired text format.

³ Up Arrow and Down Arrow, or Down Arrow and Up Arrow, will work if not in the first or last line (respectively) of the document.

Tested with LibreOffice 7.0.6.2 (x64); OS: Windows 10.0.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions. If you think the answer is not satisfactory, add a comment below, or click edit (below your question) to add more information. Thanks.

Check the mark (Answer markCorrect answer mark) to the left of the answer that solves your question (it may take a little while until it turns green).

If the answer helped you, you can mark the up arrow (Upvote mark) that is on the left (to vote, you need to have karma of at least 5).