How to add carriage return in find and replace

Trying to re-format by adding carraige
this should start new line-> returns via “find & replace” in Writer
what is the trick I can’t find?

Now that did not work as expected so I guess I mean either a line break or paragraph break and a point in mid text stream.

1 Like

What is the CR for? Do you want to create a paragraph break? a line break? or just insert the ASCII control character in the stream without formatting effect (nonsensical in Writer)?

Writer records the formatting using a high-level encoding. It does not use CR per se. So, explain your goal by editing your question (don’t use an answer because this site is not a forum; answers are reserved for solutions).

Sorry, first time user, don’t know how to make answer go away

Click on the edit link under your question to modify it. At the end, add a subtitle like EDIT # or date and paste your “non-answer”. When done, click on delete link under the “non-answer”.

CR to me is the effect of hitting the enter key in text mode […].

Text rescued from the activity section of the @Rev-Bill profile (December 31, 2020).

To get a new paragraph symbol (Enter), type \n in the Replace: field, and check Regular expressions.

Maybe your Find: and Replace: fields includes a point (.); you need to escape it with a backslash (\.).

See more LibreOffice Help on Regular Expressions. The $ symbol could be of interest in this case.

Tested with LibreOffice 7.0.6.2 (x67); OS: Windows 10.0.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions. If you think the answer is not satisfactory, add a comment below, or click edit (below your question) to add more information. Thanks.

Check the mark (Answer markCorrect answer mark) to the left of the answer that solves your question (it may take a little while until it turns green).