how to allign multiple lines in a single paragraph ?

"

• OpenOffice.org (OOo), commonly known
  • as OpenOffice, is a discontinued open-source office suite
  • It was an open-sourced version of the earlier StarOffice
  • which Sun Microsystems acquired in 1999 for internal use.

"

i want this into a sentence like below using short cuts

OpenOffice.org (OOo), commonly known as OpenOffice, is a discontinued open-source office suite. It was an open-sourced version of the earlier StarOffice, which Sun Microsystems acquired in 1999 for internal use.”

And what is the question? Edit your "question’ to be more descriptive: what is the initial text? what is the expected result? Don’t use an answer which is reserved for solutions.

My problem is that when i copy text from some source to office writer it appear in multiple line .For short paragraph i can edit using backspace key,but for long sentence it is not possible to use backspace.Is there any short cut?

It is important to realize that the “forced” line breaks in a text document exist as “non printable characters”, without a visual representation (aka “glyph”). To display visual clues of these characters, click the icon on your toolbar.

The lines will have a trailing or to signify line break and paragraph break, respectively. They can be deleted just like any other character:

• Place your cursor on the end of the text line, just before that trailing character, and press the delete key
    … or …
  • Place your cursor at the beginning of the next line, and press the backspace (delete backwards) key.

thank you sir.
for short sentences it is possible.i want to edit large paragraphs .is there any shortcuts?

Find/replace can do it. Search for /n and replace with space. Enable regular expressions, and “selection only” if applicable. Then it is a matter of going through the matches and replace/skip as required.

Some manual labor is still required. Writer does not understand the difference between proper newlines and accidental newlines. Find/replace saves you some work, as it reduces the need to “navigate” to each newline.

Also, the viewing of nonprinting characters is not a required step. It just helps you to see what you are doing.

it is" \n and $ " works perfectly .thank you so much sir

Quite! Sorry about that. Posting from my phone and wasn’ thinking straight. You fixed it. Good job!

Importing text from external sources with copy/paste is usually tricky because either you copy from screen rendition (e.g. from a browser in “raw mode”) or from some text processing format for which there may exist only an imperfect import filter (e.g. from M$ Word).

To alleviate most of the formatting problems, it is recommended to paste “unformatted text”. However, this creates the kind of problem you experience: lien ends are considered as end of paragraphs. Unfortunately there is no general solution because Writer cannot guess which line ends are due to distributing long paragraphs on several lines and which are really author-approved end of paragraphs.

There is no way to fully automate restoration of original paragraphs.

Edit>Find & Replace gives you some support but must of the job must be under user control so that the rest of the document is not damaged by the restoration attempt.

Edit>Find & Replace is used in Regular expressions mode (tick this check box).

In Find, enter $ ($ is the code for “end-of-paragraph” while \n is the code for line break which is entered as Shift+Enter – note that copying from external sources usually never pastes line breaks).

In Replace, enter a space.

To enumerate the various codes for regular expressions, push Help and, in the page which opens, click on the link named “List of Regular Expressions”.

When the parameters are set, push Find Next to scroll to the next occurrence and, if valid to replace, push Replace. This will scroll to the next occurrence.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer) or comment the relevant answer.

1 Like