How to assign a shortcut to a function

I am new to Libre Calc and wondered if it is possible to allocate a short cut key or macro to perform {=concatenate(A1&B1) }.Any advise would be appreciated as my attempts so far have failed!

What do you expect from =CONCATENATE(A1&B1) to be different from =A1 & B1 and which value should an array formula (curly brackets {}) add to the evaluation?

In addition: It is not clear what you want the shortcut to do. Should it enter the formula in to a cell?

> as my attempts so far have failed!

Would you mind to tell anything about “my attempts”?

Thanks for prompt response. Sorry for any confusion in using curly brackets; it was just to highlight the function I have been trying to replicate with a shortcut i.e. =concatenate(A1&B1) - having never dealt with arrays it didn’t occur to me that they would be interpreted differently.
Are you saying that simply =A1&B1 performs the same task and the "concatenate"command is superfluous?
I have 2 columns A has Firstname and B has Surname and I need them combined to FirstnameSurname for a lookup as I have some duplicate surnames. It’s only so not have to type in “concatenate” every time in the interests of expediency. (If I crack this then I can try to add other functionality to my spreadsheet where I have 4 stages but this is takes the longest time as the rest can be done with keystrokes and mouse.)

At first: At Ask please dont use Answers for additional questions, use a comment. Reason: the site doesn’t keep the order of time but serves the best answer at first point.

But yes =A1&B1 is the same as =CONCATENATE(A1;B1) but not my ; instead of the & in your question

Second hint: No need to type this for every row. Try to copy the cell with the formula and mark the other cells where you want to use the “same” formula, then paste this in all other cells with a single Ctrl+v keystroke.

Otherwise drag the little square at the lower right of the marked cell with the formula down to the cells below.

(Hint: Save a copy, before you play around.)

@Wanderer

=CONCATENATE(A1&B1) works perfectly, but is “super-superfluous” because

• It combines A1 and B1 into one string
  • Concatenates a single string, which obviously is the single string itself

(The whole question sounds like an XY problem)