I’m currently working on a large document where image references are made in the text saying “as seen on image 24” and similar. Is there any way that I can connect these to the corresponding image number (caption) so that they are updated automatically? The document will be expanded with more chapters later and this would take a lot of manual work…
I figured it out myself.
- Mark the text that is to be replaced. In this case the number “24” that is to be changed to the corresponding image reference.
- Go to: Insert > Cross-reference
- Choose the reference type that is to be used. In the case I’m describing I had created a custom reference type for the images called “pictures”
- In the field “Selection” you choose the corresponding image number that you want the reference to point to.
- In the field “Insert reference to” you choose which type of reference - in our case “numbering” (could also be pointing to the page, the chapter etc if preferred).
- Click on “Insert”
(The window can also be kept open to scroll down and continue adding these references throughout the document before closing.)
I created video that explains how to do this. So maybe it could be useful to add it to your answer: https://youtu.be/LWPUAS-ckp4